Cobalt Based Alloy Investment Castings
Cobalt based alloys provide excellent corrosion resistance, are resistant to thermal fatigue, have exceptional wear resistance, resist oxidation at elevated temperatures and have high strength up to 1500 deg. F. Because of these properties, cobalt based alloys are commonly chosen for a variety of medical, aerospace, food processing and other investment casting applications. At American Casting Company we have the expertise in working with this super alloy that offers several performance benefits.
Cobalt Alloy Investment Casting Capabilities
- We work with various grades of Cobalt based alloys such as Cobalt 21, Stellite, Cobalt 25(L-605), and implantable grade ASTM F-75 CoCrMo to produce parts with complex geometries and tight dimensional tolerances.
- When required, we conduct non-destructive testing on finished parts to ensure that the final components meet the NDT class and grade required.
- We can cast near-net shape cobalt-based castings with minimal secondary machining required. Standard casting tolerances are +/- .005 inches per inch.
Mechanical Properties of Cobalt Based Alloys
The below table depicts the mechanical properties of the standard Cobalt alloys we pour:
Cobalt Based Alloys
for high wear applications
|Alloy||Heat Treatment||UTS (kpsi)||YS (kpsi)||% Elongation||Hardness|
|ASTM F75||As Cast||95-105||65-75||6-10||25-35|
|Cobalt 21||As Cast||80-90||60-70||8-12||Rc 34 Max|
|Cobalt 25 (L-605)||As Cast||110-125||70-80||6-10||Rc 40-45|
|Cobalt 31||As Cast||100-120||70-80||6-10||Rc 34-40|
Applications of Cobalt Based Alloy Investment Castings
Cobalt based investment castings can outperform many alternate materials. These components are largely chosen in applications that demand high wear, oxidation and corrosion resistance. With exceptional creep resistance, anti-galling properties and surface stability under high stress conditions, Cobalt based investment castings are being used more and more for tough applications. The following are examples of cobalt based investment castings applications:
- Medical implants
- Food processing equipment (high wear)
- Heavy industrial applications like plow tiles
- Turbine Blades
- Pump sleeves
- Rotary rings
- Valve seats
- Fuel Nozzles
Advantages of Cobalt Castings
By working with American Casting for your next Cobalt casting, you get the following advantages:
- Exceptional Quality: Exceptional visual appearance is possible for parts that require high visual quality.
- Surface Finishes: 120 RMS or better is easily achieved
- Close Tolerances: Â±.005 inch per inch tolerance levels can be achieved
- Near Net Shape Parts: Avoid long run time machine parts using near net cast parts.
Certificates and Compliances
American Casting Company is an ISO 9001:2015, and AS9100 Rev D certified organization. In addition to these, here are a few more certifications and compliances that we have:
- ITAR (International Traffic In Arms Regulations)
- EAR (Export Administration Regulations)
- Nadcap for special processes
We think out-of-the-box to transform our customersâ€™ design to performance-driven Cobalt based castings for use in mission-critical industrial applications. Let us help you succeed by completing your project in a manner that best works for you. For more information on our capabilities with regard to Cobalt alloy casting, contact us right away. Alternately, you can also request a quote to receive quick response for your specific requirements.